Monday, June 13, 2011

"Pairing" Down


As I sit typing this, my house is full of piles. Each room contains its own. And although it looks chaotic, I know exactly where I want each pile to go. I'm just waiting for time to put it all away. Doing a little each day should get everything done, oh say, by the time we are ready to leave again.

As I go through all our belongings and look at the things I leave home so often, I realize that I really have more than I need. Like that pair of shoes that I have to go with that one outfit. You know what I mean, we all have things that we are waiting for just the right time to use. 

Let the purge begin! Time to go through all the closets, drawers, bookshelves...and maybe the attic if I think I can survive the heat. Purging can be tedious and not always my favorite thing to do. Purging can also be rewarding. Less stuff means not as much to dust or launder. Most importantly, I'm praying that God will direct me to who I can give our "stuff" to. We have been so blessed by friends who have given to us in this way. I can't wait to share the blessing.

Several years ago, I spent a few weeks in Panama. It was my first time to go outside of the country. It was also my first time to really see how blessed Americans are with ALL that we have. Coming away from that trip, I was determined not to be attached to accumulating possessions. It is so easy to loose site of that goal. Taking stock of what I have and what I don't really need keeps me in perspective.

What about you? Summer is a great time to purge your possessions. Pray that the Lord will direct you to give your "purge pile" to someone who needs it!

1 comment:

  1. Where have you been girl?! I keep checking your blog for updates, but you are missing in action! :-)If you're busy taking care of your sweet family, I completely understand...but know that you are missed on here! :-) Hope you are enjoying your summer!

    ReplyDelete