Monday, August 2, 2010

Why don't I praise God more?

Throughout the summer I have been studying various Psalms. I have not taken the time to count how often the psalmists take time to praise God. It is easy to skim over that part and get to the verses that you feel like you "really need." But doing a study of Psalm 145 made me stop and think. Maybe what I really need is to praise God more. I am not just talking about making sure I add in "Praise God more" to my daily schedule. What I mean is praising God with my whole heart, being in an attitude of praise. Why is it so hard to praise the Lord sometimes. There are other times when I praise the Lord, but I do it rather skeptically. My heart of unbelief takes over and questions if God truly is Who I am praising Him for or if He will really do what He says He will do in His Word. I never realized how much faith has to do with praise. But doesn't God say
Without faith, it is impossible to please Him, for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him. Hebrews 11:6
Faith carries over into every part of my Christian walk, especially in my praise of God. My praise of God will be weak when my faith in Him is weak. I must confess my heart of unbelief and claim God's promises as true and then my heart will open up in praise to God. I want my children to know and praise the God I love and serve. I long for people I come in contact with everyday to be drawn to God because I can't stop speaking about Him. It all starts with faith.
Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised; and His greatness is unsearchable. One generation shall praise thy works to another, and shall declare Thy mighty acts. Psalm 145:3-4

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you had started a blog! I am delighted to find it.

    I am remiss in this area, too. I think sometimes it is a matter of taking God's blessings for granted, which is not a good thing to do.

    ReplyDelete